Connecting to an AWS RDS database using IAM authentication

Is there a way to connect to a RDS database using IAM auth tokens?

When I try to add a PostgreSQL ressource, I can enter a username and password only.

I can't even try adding a 15 minutes token as a password because the column you use to store the DB password is only 255 character long (and AWS auth tokens are longer):

postgres_1          | ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(255)

Thank you for your help!

3 Likes

I am wondering the same thing. This would be a great feature (support of the IAM auth). Currently thinking the only way to do this would be via self hosting retool and doing some hacking.

Hey @fierro, Thanks for chiming in on this! Unfortunately, I don't believe this is possible in Retool at the moment :slightly_frowning_face: I'm going to change this post to a feature request to help gauge the interest for this functionality from other users.

1 Like

@everett_smith I have been watching this post for about 9 months to see if it ever got traction.

My company is absolutely interested in this capability as we are moving to 100% federated access through IAM and we want to do the same for the retool connections. Helps mitigate unicorn/snowflake use cases when everyone with access can be axed at the IAM level.

+1 from me for this! Happy to see it getting some traction!!

Hi @vdelagabbe_alan, @fierro, @iansabey Retool's Postgres Resource now supports IAM Authentication!

1 Like