Connect Ngrok to Retool

I want to use my local database on retool cloud and I'm planning to use Ngrok. Anyone knows which resource type should I choose and how to setup my Ngrok on retool cloud? Thank you.

Hi @stevinass - it looks like my teammate connected with you separately and shared the below info for your consideration, which I'll share here in case it helps you and others. I also saw you have a related post here :+1:

Ngrok can be used with any resource type in Retool that uses a TCP connection. This includes most types of databases, such as:

• MySQL
• PostgreSQL
• MongoDB
• Oracle
• MSSQL
• Redis
• Cassandra

You can use Ngrok with these resources because each of them in Retool requires the hostname and port number to establish a connection, which are provided by Ngrok when you set up a tunnel.

Please note, each time you restart Ngrok, the hostname and port number change. Therefore, you must update these in your resource settings in Retool.

Also, if you happen to have a local REST API (Express, Django, Ruby on Rails, etc.), you can use Ngrok to make this available to Retool Cloud. Remember, Ngrok should be used mainly for development or testing, and might not be ideal for production due to stability and security considerations (as @mbruijnpff mentioned).

Be sure to use secure tunnels and authenticate your databases. Lastly, make sure that your local network policies allow for such connections and your local server is correctly secured.