Column labels in dynamic settings

Hi!

It would be great to be able to map column names to different labels in the dynamic column settings like this:

[{
name: "cost_per_event"
,label: "Cost per Event"
,type: "numeric"
},{
name: "other_metric"
,label: "Something Entirely Different"
,type: "integer"
}]

That would make the tables look much more user friendly. I know there is an option to do this via a transformation but if a transformation is complex enough and it has dependent transformations/objects it becomes hard to maintain the updated keys and it's just extra code on top of a lot of code already. It would be great to move the labeling into a separate layer and dynamic column settings are a perfect existing option for this.

5 Likes

Found a lot of help in the forum but signed up specifically to +1 this and add in that an order: would be helpful as well for my use case. To add to the above example:

[{
,order: 0
},{
,order: 1
}]

Hello, there are so many request about dynamic column setting. please pay attention to it.
I add to above
[{
,order: 0,
editable: true,
width: 23
},{
,order: 1,
editable: true,
width: 23
}]

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey @AnsonHwang! Thank you so much for gathering those :sob: Really appreciate you taking the time to do that. I just shared your post with our engineering teams

Hey @victoria . Thanks for your reply. What is your engineering teams feedback. I am sorry to hear the retool is not an open source project, and the development team's roadmap is unpredictable for us.

Hey @AnsonHwang!

For starters, we'll be updating the docs for dynamic column settings. Then, we filed internal tickets to allow editable and title to be set dynamically. I also passed your recent feedback (about an unpredictable roadmap) along.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and definitely do keep them coming if you have any more!

Hey @victoria . I am sorry, my mother language is not english.
Can you let me know what is "filed internal tickets " mean?
Does it mean your team have accepted part of this suggestion and begin to devolop it?
Thanks for your kindly reply.

Oh, my apologies! No timelines or committed team members just yet, but it's in our feature request queue to be worked on :slightly_smiling_face:

hello, this is another users ask for this function

Hello. any update? I still found serveral feature request about this during this time.
It's appericiated if your team priority this, most of users think it's basic function to dynamic setting column title, editable, ect.
It's very important for international app to show different column title of different language.
Also if you use table component in a module, you have not way to change table column setting unless the table accept configurable mapping data.
I read the change notes of recent updates, and found there is very Few feature updates add recently except bugs fixed. So I worried about if your team can complete this featuer request?

Thanks again, waiting for update.

1 Like

Hi...
it's been awhile so wondering if the title/label can be set dynamically?

Bumping to eng!

Just heard back!

I think our upcoming table work (we’re working on releasing an additional, read-only table sometime in the next few months) should address this! You’ll be able to rename the header without having to write back to the resource.

1 Like

Hey @victoria, the work that has been done to the documentation is great, I found all the information I was looking for, but is there any update regarding the request of this thread?

Thanks and have a nice day,
Matteo

Hey Matteo! No updates re: renaming headers/column names yet, but there's a new table update coming soon that should solve this actually. I asked the engineering team working on this new table about timelines, so I'll let you know as soon as I hear back :slight_smile:

Hi @victoria, will there be an available self-hosted version that has renaming header names dynamically while maintaining its original column names too? Could I get the update for timelines?

Thank you!

Hi! @victoria any news about this thread?? I am using a table with dynamic columns and I want to make all the columns editable to download after. I want to know if its possible or not.

Thank you!

Hi everyone! We have an exciting update :slight_smile:

Check out @Tess's update here on our new and improved dynamic column settings! You can now edit the Label of your table columns :tada:

Thank you for all your patience and feedback here, and let us know if you have any questions or further feedback!

1 Like