Click Cell Event When Column is Empty

The click cell even handler doesn't seem to be working if the cell is empty. Is this a bug or a feature? Regardless that is something I am trying to do :slight_smile:
CleanShot 2023-09-20 at 23.21.45

I think it should be a bug.
I have report it here several days ago.

1 Like

:disappointed: We'll post here when we have a fix for this bug!

1 Like

I share others' concerns in re this. Are any updates available? If not then I plan to replace each empty cell with a clickably-sized target such as "None" or "No frigging data here".

1 Like

would just a single space work so you can keep it visually empty?

I don't think so. Retool seems to strip white space from cell contents.

thats a bummer, I just noticed that the click event is never triggered only if the cell is not editable.... you can dynamically set editable to something like:
{{ typeof item === 'string' ? false : true }}

this way if the cell has a value it remains locked and if it's null it becomes editable and clickable. in the click event you can add a JS Script to set the editable property to false if you want to avoid the interaction so the blinking cursor doesn't appear

1 Like

This is still in our backlog :disappointed: It's something we want to fix, but haven't been able to prioritize yet

1 Like

Goodness, a long moment of second-guessing myself until I found this topic.

Modal columns in the legacy table would helpfully display in the cell when there was no value to display, and rather importantly, they would remain clickable. (In fact, IIRC, any empty cell of any column type in the legacy table would display )

In the new table, I tried button column, link column, tags column … none of them are clickable if the cell is empty. IMO, at the very least, an empty cell in a button column should still display a button, rather than no button at all. Perhaps a toggle for "show button for empty cells." Sometimes the fact that a button has no text can be just as purposeful as a button with text, depending on the context.

I am now using a button column, and have augmented its value code to display (and thus a clickable button) rather than an unclickable empty cell . Now we can open the modal to add Director(s) if there isn't one.