Charge users to use public app

Hello, I've a simple question, suppose I manage to create a custom signup/login system without using the retool auth and I use Retool embed to publish the app under a custom domain. Can I potentially charge users a monthly fee to use my app? Is this accepted by retool?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Pennatool,

Using your own authentication on top of a Retool build Public App is against the Acceptable Use Policy .

I must admit, when I learned this, it left me feeling quite disappointed. I think Retool management needs to reconsider this.

@Tess @victoria @antonybello @ScottR @bradlymathews @AnsonHwang

:pray:

Patrick

3 Likes

@PatrickMast this is, indeed, really disappointing

1 Like

This is not allowed for Public apps, but you asked about Embed. This is perfectly acceptable with Embed as you will be authenticating your users with Retool, and Retool gets their nut as Embed users are real Retool users, paid for and everything.

In this case, I believe there are no reasons you could not charge end user whatever you want.

1 Like

Hi,

I have a startup where the monthly fee stands at $20. However, when using Retool for our development needs, we are required to pay a fee of $15 per user.

As you can see, this poses a challenge to our business model.

:sweat_smile:

Patrick

1 Like

I don’t want to authenticate users with retool, this is the issue. I was thinking to embed a public app and allow users to signup and login using my own system.

1 Like

Also, it’s almost impossible to offer a free plan if you have to pay Retool for every user

1 Like

From Enable public access to a Retool app | Retool Docs

On February 18th, 2024, Retool plans to end support for creating password-protected Public Apps. If need to build authenticated external apps, check out our guide. Should you have further questions, please get in touch.

See also: Retool to end support for creating password-protected Public Apps - #3 by antonybello

Patrick

1 Like

Exactly!

Patrick

1 Like

You will find that a free hosted platform just does not exist. Any platform has real costs it has to pass on to clients or it fails to exist.

They do make a goodwill (and loss leader marketing tool) concession to public apps as they believe such apps will also be free to their users.

I have a couple of clients that could really benefit from Retool, but their business model does not support the development and monthly costs. So they have to settle for PageMaker/Access/Spreadsheets/RDP/Paper. That is frustrating for all of us to have the solution so close and yet so far.

I have even more clients where Retool finally made building the software they needed financially possible. They are very happy.

If $20 or free is your price point then the unfortunate reality is Retool is simply not the right tool for you. I recommend an open source framework like Vue.js or a PHP form generator.

2 Likes

Looks like Appsmith has a different policy. They let you add your own User Authentication on top of a public app.

:grinning:

Patrick

1 Like

They sure do have an entirely different pricing model with a heavier free tier. If that is a viable business model for them, then it is a probably a viable option for some where Retool is not. Every hammer does not work with every nail.

I tried out OutSystems many years ago and dumped quickly them because they wanted 5 figures up front to do anything useful (I do not know their current pricing model) as they apparently only wanted large corporate clients.

Retool was a far better value and easier to get into even when it was $50 per user and made it a viable choice for many of my clients so they got my money.

2 Likes

@bradlymathews I love retool, and for this reason I’m annoyed by the fact that you could potentially build something more than internal apps, because the platform is really awesome. Charge me based on traffic, bandwidth or whatever make sense to measure my app success, but do not obligate me to process users trough retool, that’s my point.

But hey, this is their business model, we can’t change so much.

4 Likes

@Pennatool There are a number of platforms like retool, but with open source self host options. I haven't read through the terms of service but worth checkin out Windmill. This official tutorial for using Supabase as an external auth provider with Windmill may be useful.

1 Like