Can't expand run script code editor anymore

Thanks, I shared that earlier with the eng team working on the fix. They've shipped the fix so it should go out to Cloud soon :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Tess, thanks for your support.

I've noticed that the expand code editor icon has returned, but when I click on the expanded window, it immediately closes. I expected the expanded window to stay open.

Hi @milad thanks for letting me know! I'm not seeing the same behavior. What version of Retool are you using? And where are you popping out the code editor (i.e. an event handler on a table, event handler on a button, etc)

1 Like

You can see the version # in the bottom right corner:

1 Like

It's returned for me also. It stays open when I click it.

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am currently using version 3.15.0-fdcba0a (Build 128291) of the Cloud version.

Upon further testing, I have confirmed that the system now behaves as expected.

However, I have noticed that when I click anywhere on the page, the code window closes. While this might be intended behavior, I would prefer the Code editor to remain open until I choose to close it explicitly.

Is there a way to configure it accordingly?

I have also noticed this new undesirable behavior. I think it was better when you could open it and then navigate through other areas of the app while still making reference to the editor.

1 Like

Yes, I agree! Looks like a regression related to the original issue in this thread :disappointed: Flagging to our team

2 Likes

this is still an issue, and it consistently reproduces whenever there's any open floating panel (e.g. debug console, "create components" palette, etc.)

let's say, you add event handler to some element, choose "run a script", click the "expand" and try to write anything in the script editor, while Debug Console (as an example) is open, the script editor immediately closes.
if you close all floating panels and repeat, the script editor remains open.

However, there's still an issue in the expanded script when it stays open - it sometimes moves the caret to the top of the script without any provocation. so, you might be writing some script code, and suddenly the caret moves back to (1,1).

@Shawn_Crocker, @tess, @Eshed_Gal-Or

I'm getting all of the reported problems on version 3.25 as of Dec 12th 2023.

It's very hard to do anything as the even the tiny run script editor has the jump to char 0 issue with the cursor.

Can we please have a code edit window that works, including the ability to keep it open while clicking elsewhere in the IDE (to copy and paste or locate component names for example).

Thanks!

@stewart.anstey I have been getting the jump to zero thing for awhile. I think it Trump's anything else for me in terms of being annoying. But, compared to the whole system, I still feel like the whole thing is 99.5 percent amazing.

1 Like

Hi @Shawn_Crocker,

Yep it's also my biggest issue at the moment, plus not knowing the best practice for designing queries and modals in a declarative fashion. I make a lot of use of events when perhaps I shouldn't.

For example, I haven't had much luck finding docs on doing complete end to end multitable CRUD but I will keep looking.

I give it 80 percent so far. If the monthly subscription came with a jar of peanut butter I would rate it higher.

1 Like

Hi all! Thank you for resurfacing & sharing more feedback.

Just in the nick of time! The issue of the code pop out window closing when clicking outside should be solved in this afternoon's (pacific time) Cloud release (3.26) :pray: Please let me know if you still see any quirks after that

The jump to zero issue is something we're investigating, but it's a bit more technically challenging to solve, unfortunately :disappointed: I'll flag your feedback to our team.

Stewart :smile: I can't send you a jar of peanut butter, but happy to chat about your crud app in office hours or in a new topic

Thanks @tess for fixing one of the code editor issues, I really appreciate it.

I’m at GMT +10 so there is only one office hours I can make it to. I’ll try next week since you kindly offered.

Regards

1 Like

I see :slightly_smiling_face: I'm not sure if the times will change, but we might be opening up more time slots next year :crossed_fingers: In any case, we still review every post on the forum & occasionally post Retool provided tips here (again, hopefully more of these in the coming year). Also, I checked internally & we have a project in our queue to add a queries best practices page to our docs

Can you please let us know when the fix for this will make to onprem image, we just updated to 3.24.6 and issue is still there, it's really really annoying

Hi @rjones-cto Yes, it looks like it will come out on on-prem v3.26.2

Thanks for that, does that have a date of release?

Best regards

Rich

It looks like we're targeting releasing 3.26 on January 11th

Thank you very much!