Use Retool Email resource in DEV environment

As per title, I was trying to following this guide to send emails but I was not able to import the email resource in DEV env only in PROD...

Prod behavior:

Dev behavior

I cannot click Send email in dev but I can in prod and link the resource properly. I do want to test out my app in dev to make sure I get every piece right, is there a way to call Retool Email resource in DEV?

Thanks you!

2 Likes

Big +1 for this - I use email in my error handler and API calls to workflows just fail with a 400 when they are called in Dev and use email. This is the error - makes it impossible to test unless I disable the error handler, it doesn't even register in the run logs as an error.

{
    "success": false,
    "error": "Your workflow contains resources that are not configured for environment Dev: retool_email",
    "message": "Your workflow contains resources that are not configured for environment Dev: retool_email"
}

What's even worse is that I have to completely remove the block from my flow, I can't just turn off the error handler. If a component references Retool Email, it just returns a 400 no matter what.

Mike I had a similar situation. Ultimately I added a wrapper to email query, the wrapper have a switch case on environment, something like

if prod:
   call_send_email
else:
  print_email_content_in_pop_up_modal

Wish for a definitive guidance on how to handle email resource on DEV too.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your work around. Asking our engineers and logging this as a request. I'll revisit with any updates!

1 Like