Trying to install Retool on an Azure Kubernetes Services (AKS) cluster, the API pod is unable to start up due to filesystem access error

Hello,

I am evaluating Retool for a potential implementation in our company. If we were to go ahead with it, we would probably be hosting it on an Azure Kubernetes Services (AKS) cluster. I followed the instructions for the Kubernetes install provided on https://my.retool.com/, however the API pod is failing to start. Looking at the logs, it appears to be a filesystem access issue:

"reason": {
	"errno": -13,
	"syscall": "mkdir",
	"code": "EACCES",
	"path": "./cache"
}

I attempted adding an initContainer to retool-container.yaml as below, but it didn't resolve the issue:

initContainers:
      - name: init-chmod-data
        image: alpine
        command: ["/bin/sh","-c"]
        args: 
        - >
          mkdir -p /retool_backend/pv-data/cache && 
          chmod 777 /retool_backend/pv-data/cache
        volumeMounts:
        - name: retool-pv
          mountPath: /retool_backend/pv-data

I have little to no experience with standing up new software this way, so I would appreciate any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hey @weard! Do you have access to your Retool container logs by any chance? The command might look something like kubectl -n <namespace> logs -p <pod name>

Hi @victoria,

Yup, here it is:

Defaulted container "api" out of: api, init-chmod-data (init)
wait-for-it.sh: waiting for postgres:5432 without a timeout
wait-for-it.sh: postgres:5432 is available after 0 seconds
not untarring the bundle
{"message":"[process service types] MAIN_BACKEND, DB_CONNECTOR, DB_SSH_CONNECTOR","level":"info","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:02.954Z"}
Database migrations are up to date.
Setting http and https agent maxSockets to 25
{"message":"Not configuring Sentry...","level":"info","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:03.959Z"}
{"message":"Not configuring StatsD...","level":"info","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:03.960Z"}
{"message":"Running node v16.14.2","level":"info","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:03.960Z"}
{"0":"--max-http-header-size=80000","level":"info","message":"ARGV:","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:03.960Z"}
{"message":"Node.js heap size limit: 5168 MiB","level":"info","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:03.961Z"}
{"message":"Initialized general rate limiter: 60 attempts every 60 seconds","level":"info","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:05.036Z"}
{"message":"Initialized invite rate limiter: 50 attempts every 86400 seconds","level":"info","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:05.037Z"}
Tue, 16 May 2023 16:29:05 GMT body-parser deprecated bodyParser: use individual json/urlencoded middlewares at ../snapshot/retool_development/backend/transpiled/server/app.js:null:null
Tue, 16 May 2023 16:29:05 GMT body-parser deprecated undefined extended: provide extended option at ../snapshot/retool_development/node_modules/body-parser/index.js:104:29
(node:16) [DEP0111] DeprecationWarning: Access to process.binding('http_parser') is deprecated.
(Use `retool_backend --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:16) [DEP0148] DeprecationWarning: Use of deprecated folder mapping "./" in the "exports" field module resolution of the package at /snapshot/retool_development/node_modules/@tryretool/common/package.json.
Update this package.json to use a subpath pattern like "./*".
(node:16) [LRU_CACHE_UNBOUNDED] UnboundedCacheWarning: TTL caching without ttlAutopurge, max, or maxSize can result in unbounded memory consumption.
(node:16) [DEP0148] DeprecationWarning: Use of deprecated folder mapping "./" in the "exports" field module resolution of the package at /node_modules/@tryretool/workflowsBackend/package.json.
(node:16) [DEP0148] DeprecationWarning: Use of deprecated folder mapping "./" in the "exports" field module resolution of the package at /node_modules/@tryretool/common/package.json.
(node:16) [DEP0148] DeprecationWarning: Use of deprecated folder mapping "./" in the "exports" field module resolution of the package at /packages/common/package.json imported from /packages/common/build/workflows/types.js.
(node:16) [LRU_CACHE_OPTION_maxAge] DeprecationWarning: The maxAge option is deprecated. Please use options.ttl instead.
{"promise":{},"reason":{"errno":-13,"syscall":"mkdir","code":"EACCES","path":"./cache"},"level":"error","message":"Unhandled Rejection {\"promise\":{},\"reason\":{\"errno\":-13,\"syscall\":\"mkdir\",\"code\":\"EACCES\",\"path\":\"./cache\"}}","timestamp":"2023-05-16T16:29:05.100Z"}

Hey @victoria, do you have any update on this? I was trying to do a test install of Retool in our corporate environment as part of a pre-purchase platform evaluation, and am dead in the water.

Just wanted to share a public update! It looks like this was an issue on our end and we're currently working with individual orgs to get this resolved :slight_smile: For anyone else who may be running into this issue as well, let us know here and we'll make sure to address it with you!