Tooltip for select option(hover)

Hi everyone,

I am really new to reool, and I have a select dropbox that has around 50 options, however the option names are really similar in the beginning like:

1. This is my Option 1
  2. This is my Option 2
  3. This is my Option 3
  4. This is my Option 4

but since on the UI i do not have a lot of space to show the entire text, i was hoping to add a tooltip to the option with hover event for making it easier for users to know which one are they using.

Can you help me with this, I'm really new to jQuery/retool, so please dont mind if the question isn't up to the mark and is general knowledge.

There is a tooltip option within the select component

1 Like

So apparently i was using the deprecated version of select and could not see this. Thanks you again. helped me check again!

@ScottR Can you help me what is the handle for current highlighted option?

@akash Handle?
the component is a Select component.

Hey @akash!

The left panel (model browser) can be really helpful for this

If you're trying to reference the currently selected value you can use {{select1.value}} in this test case. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions! :)\

Hi @ScottR

What i meant to say was Tooltip field accepts string input. I have a bunch of options in the dropdown, i want the tooltip to show the full value of option the mouse is hovering over(since the dropdown is smaller in size and can not display the full value in itself.)

@Chris-Thompson Yeah, i get that part for the selected value... but i want a tooltip to show the full value of the option the mouse is hovering over but not yet selected.

(like on-hover attribute in css)

Currently it looks like this:
Screenshot from 2021-12-15 04-46-12

I want it to show it like this:

Screenshot from 2021-12-15 04-46-12-1

I can't find a way of doing that in Retool - though maybe someone else knows a workaround.

Ah I see, ScottR is right here, I don't think there is a good way to do this at the moment. I'll write up an internal feature request! In the meantime, would using a radio group component work here?

1 Like