Tag Dropdown not showing the list of values to select from

It is a "Column Type" for when you are editing a specific column of a Table

I don't see it on my end

is there a way I can get the multiple tag to show

My apologies! The multiple tags column above is actually a development feature behind a flag, and hasn't been released yet to all orgs.

Another work-around I can offer is to change the column type to "Text", and to set the mapped value to {{ _.toString(self)}} -- this allows for the array values to render.

Hope this helps!

no problem, I need to show only one of the values in the array and wanted to be able to pick any of those from the options dropdown. I will try the Text. Edit: Tried it but is not what my use case need is.

My problem is that when I do Tag column I want to be able to see few options to select from not just one like in my current case. I don't need to add multiple tag but one tag among many which I can select. The drop down options don't appear except one option only.

When is the multi tag release coming out?

Gocha.

Unfortunately I don't have an estimated release date from the eng team at this time -- but I will update here when I know more!

1 Like

@shawntax
I have table with insights, there every insight has category as JSON. I want to make it possible to change or add new category type. I made transformer on edit, every thing is fine, except displaying self category for every insight. Can you kind to suggest any solution for this issue.
Some images for more details.

Why doesn't displays category on table?

I don't thing the single Tag option works properly, you can't show more than one option to swap

Hi @shawntax, can you analyze my question with dropdown(json elements) on table, plz.

Hi @Nurbek ! Sorry for the delay here.

It seems like you are running into the same regression as Alonso. Your transformer looks correct, it's just an issue with our tag (dropdown) column type in rendering it.
Our eng team is on it, and I will notify you here as soon as it's fixed!

I'd recommend using a json column type with a similar mapping as a work-around for now.

That's right @devonso, that is part of the existing bug unfortunately.

hi everyone. new to retool, and building our first app at the moment.

we have a situation where we also require a table to contain multiple tags. therefore, following this thread!

1 Like

how does a json column type work as a work around?

@devonso it would be similar to using the Text column -- if you have a an array of objects following @Nurbek 's example, you could use a mapped value with template literals like:

{{
 self.map(({en, jp}) => `(${en}/${jp})`).join(" ")
}}

And that should at least display the values in your table.

Are there any updates regarding this issue? Also, I think Tag (dropdown) column type should be removed or hidden if it doesn't work properly, it's a bit misleading

Hi there @nyadesu.dev!

As of right now, work on the Tag (dropdown) type (and multi-tags in general) is paused in favor of broader table performance work.

I agree we should consider hiding the column type until it's in a working state, and I've passed the suggestion along to our PM. Thanks!

2 Likes

Any update on this? As pills are not available and neither is tag dropdown working properly on simple content such as ["tag1", "tag2"]

Yes a fix for this would be much appreciated @shawntax. We're considering migrating to Airtable just because of this, it makes the table completely unusable for us.

Hi @ant0n and @Lorenzo_Sani!

The update right now is that "fixing" tags in the current Table component is on pause in favor of our team building the new v2 Table component, which is targeted for release at the end of April and will have a better API for tag columns.

I put quotes around fixing because the tag column is not technically broken, just that it has an awkward API that does not fit what you all expect a tag column to do. For simple cases where you have a column that references an array of strings or numbers, I've created this example app JSON that you can upload to your org demonstrates a work-around for creating tags using HTML and a column mapper:

{{
  (() => {
    const tagStyles = 'display:inline; padding: 10px;background-color:black; color:white; border-radius:5px;';
    let tags = '<ul>';
    currentRow.version_tags.forEach(tag => {
      tags += (`<li style="${tagStyles}">${tag}</li> `)
    })
    tags += ('</ul>')
    return tags;
  })()
}}

Hope this is helpful as we await the new Table component's release.

simple-table-tags.json (8.8 KB)