Subfolder Creation

+1 - Any update now that we are at the end of Q1?

1 Like

Thanks for asking @Ellen_Nelson - I've confirmed with our eng team internally: this is moving toward being available for customers, but we don't have an exact timeline update to share just yet.

My sense is that it won't be too much longer! As @Jeff_Hemphill mentioned, given this feature's complexity under the hood in conjunction with permissions, the top priority is testing to maintain a high quality bar before officially releasing. Stay tuned here for an update about which release/date this will be available. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! We're releasing a private beta of subfolders with next week's quarterly stable release, v3.52.0. For now, it will only be available for enterprise customers using an On-premise, Airgapped, or Managed-cloud instance of Retool. Customers will need to reach out to us to be onboarded to subfolders.

In the coming edge releases, we'll start supporting subfolders for customers on our Free and Team plans, as well as organizations using our Cloud instance. Subfolders will be generally available to all, by default, when the Q3 stable release launches!

2 Likes

Hi folks!

Excited to announce that we're rolling out subfolders in a closed alpha for customers on the Business plan and above!

We plan to roll them out on all plans, and want to start by working closely with customers with custom permission setups.

If you're interested, please email me your Retool subdomain and our team will get you onboarded!

2 Likes

Yay, thank you @antonybello! At what email address do we email you?

Hi @Ellen_Nelson, I reached out to Antony internally. This feature has been enabled for your org! Check under Advanced settings and enable subfolders. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Can I be onboarded to this as well please?

I'm mostly interested in subfolders for organizing queries within an application. I have an app that will end up with several dozen queries and this would be very helpful

Could you send me a DM with your org? I found one that I think you are part of but I would like to confirm this.

1 Like

@henrymeiklejohn, this setting is now available on your org!

Update: nested folders are not supported within Apps. This feature is for the App index at the Home page.

1 Like

@Paulo Can you make this available for our organization please? (Kredito) (kredito.retool.com)

Welcome to the forum, @Patricio_De_Solminihac!
The feature is ready for use in your org. :white_check_mark:
Check under Advanced settings and enable subfolders.

Does the subfolder/nesting not work in Workflows?

Hi @Tugi_Baasansuren, this new feature is for the App index only but I created an internal request to expand the functionality to WFs as well.

1 Like

Update: everyone on Cloud should be able to find the Beta feature under org advanced settings.

2 Likes

Got it!

Yes, having the functionality in WFs would be life-changing.

1 Like

Workflows yes, but also the code tab within apps itself -- that's where we would find the most use.

1 Like

Hi @shawnhoffman, there is another topic where we are collecting +1s for nested folders within the scope of an app:

I added your +1 to the internal request. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Paulo! I was about to enable subfolders for our org, but a confirmation popped up saying:

You will not be able to disable this feature once it is enabled. Are you sure you want to continue?

Could you please share reasons why we might not want to proceed? Are there any risks?

I made a new post about this before I though about just asking here, so sharing that link:

Hi @sgodoshian, great question!

It'll be soon release to all cloud orgs and will be on by default so it's definitely safe to enable it. :sunglasses:

The thing about this one is that, unlike other Beta features, there is no way to revert an org back to 'no nested folders.' That's why we are currently showing the warning.

Personally, I don't see a good reason to not have nested folders. It has helped my organize all my repro apps.

This is also the right place to ask this question. I'll merge your topic here so other users can be redirected to this thread.

1 Like