.servedFromCache returns false even though cache is activated in advenced query settings

Thats Awesome! But how do I get to a version that, as far as i can tell, is yet to be released?

The release notes page indicates 2.115 is the latest release of self-hosted:
https://updates.retool.com/en?category=self-hosted%20release%20notes

It's the next release and should be available within a couple of weeks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey folks! Just want to give a heads up here that queries should be properly cached in Public Apps as of 2.123.0!

This is still not resolved. I am unable to invalidate the cache of a query in the Query Library. It does not work when using the UI:

and it does not work when using js directly:

No matter what, the cache is always returned!

1 Like

Hey @alanlindsay, thanks for surfacing this!

The dev team is shipping a fix that should go out with the 3.2.0 release. While this will re-enable query caching on public apps, it's important to note that the caching will not be user-specific. Since public apps don't have a concept of a particular user, queries will be cached across all users if you choose to do so!

@Kabirdas Great to hear, but in my case the app is not public anyway. Yes, I am using a shared query from the Query Library, but my app is private.

And if it wasn't clear from my previous explanation, the issue is that cache is used 100% of the time. I am unable to clear the cache programmatically or via the UI.

1 Like

Oh my apologies! I completely misread your post.

What version of Retool are you seeing this on? And is your query pinned to its latest version?

@Kabirdas Sorry for the delayed response, I was away. I am using Retool 3.3.0 and yes, the latest version is pinned.

Just want to give a quick update here that a bug has been filed and we'll report back when it's resolved. Thanks @alanlindsay for your help in surfacing and reproducing the issue!

1 Like

Thanks for the updates, @Kabirdas . Caching issues have been a recurring issue in Retool issue in my experience, and is once again a problem for me.

No matter what I do I cannot invalidate the cache, at least on this one query. This is a regular resource query, not one from our Query Library.

See short video evidence on Google Drive [8 sec duration, 1.5MB]

I'm on Retool v3.7.0-c308b11 (Build 112004)

I know this ticket has diverged a bit, and this issue is technically marked as solved, but with the renewed activity it seems okay to put this here.

Also, I reached out to support with recordings of this issue a few months ago in May and was told it was a known issue reported by others, and internally tracked, but I've not heard back since. The "reply in messenger" links in those emails don't even work at the moment, and I cannot access the usual "chat with support" in-app (only "Email support") to bump that May conversation, though it is still usual US business hours right now.

Hey @dguzzo!

We recently pushed another patch for caching issues to Cloud, can you let me know how things are looking now?

And sorry that it's been a little tricky to figure out the correct channel to reach out through recently. The Retool user base is growing and we're trying to figure out how to best distribute the availability we do have to respond directly to folks, while also setting realistic expectations for what we can do, and finding new ways to help larger numbers of people. When our team's availability to respond via chat is low, we may occasionally opt to temporarily disable it in favor of email where we can better meet responsiveness expectations. It looks like one of those timeframes fell when you were looking to bump a previous chat thread. If chat isn't available, please do reach out via email (best for urgent or highly nuanced issues) or here in the developer community forum -- we still want to hear from you!

Hopefully there isn't a whole lot of turbulence through that process and any feedback about it is really appreciated.

In case others who're looking for how to contact Retool Support see this down the line, I also want to mention our Contact Retool Support page as a source of truth for our support channel availability!

1 Like

Thanks @Kabirdas, that all makes sense.

To answer your question regarding a recent patch, unfortunately I'm still seeing the same inability to either programmatically (via script event handler) or manually invalidate a cache, even though Retool is telling me it was invalidated via a green-check notification. This time in a different app and different query than the one in the video above.

I'm on v3.8.0-f387641 (Build 115258)

I'll attempt to reach out to support directly again as this problem effectively makes caching an unusable option across numerous resources on our end, which obviously has big implications for performance and hence usability.