Production Instance

I have been reading in the documentation about "Production Instance".

I am looking to make my application available to multiple users who would each have their own database and localStorage.

Is there anyone who had addressed this?

Otherwise I will take it to the Support Group.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I know we're chatting about different plan options here. Definitely let us know what questions come up!

localStorage is used to save data locally to the browser, so that should be separate for the users

As far as database, it would be helpful to hear more details. Do you already have the databases created outside of Retool? If so, how will you want to identify which user should use which db?

Tess:
I would have a separate database for each customer. Each customer would have their own set of apps.
Mike

If you go with the Business plan, you can add each customer's external database as a resource & then manually assign permissions so that each customer can only query their own db & can only see their own apps

Tess:
I cannot afford $50 per month for the Business Plan.

I have an external database through cPanel with GoDaddy.

I will have to build a separate database for each client under the Team Plan. You previously mentioned something about the "Cloud". Is that something that would provide an option for me?

Mike

Hi @mdsmith1 I believe your current account is already on Retool Cloud. Cloud is the version that you sign up for on retool.com (https://login.retool.com/auth/signup). If your Retool account's url ends in .retool.com, it's a Cloud account

Tess:

Thanks for the clarification.

It looks like I need to move to self hosting to make a go of the Team Option. What are the steps for that?

Mike

Hi @mdsmith1 The team plan is available for Cloud & self hosting. Self hosting requires spinning up infrastructure outside of Retool: https://docs.retool.com/self-hosted/quickstarts/

Tess:

I have been long time getting back to you.

I have been trying to set up Ubuntu for over a week. I am working with a Forum Group that gives me pages and pages of documents to read and tools to upload (Docker, Compose, GitHub, Gnc and others). Now they want info on my Video Card.

Its a very rough road in the PowerShell environment which is not stable.

I know it would be a lot easier if I upgraded to the Business Plan but the pricing environment for my Saas will not permit $50 per user.

Have you done any investigation on permitting more than 5 users in the non self hosted Team Plan?

I think I will have to abandon Retool and go to another language if you can not make some accommodation for Saas developers on the Team Plan.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking in!

The non-self hosted Team plan does not have a limit on users

Free Cloud: 5 user limit

Free Self-hosted: 5 user limit

Team Cloud: no user limit

Team Self-hosted: up to 25 users

Business Cloud: no user limit

Business Self-hosted: up to 25 users

Hi Tess:

What is the non-self hosted Team Plan?

Mike

Hi there! non-self hosted = Cloud

Tess:
What is the pricing on Cloud?
I don't see that on your web site.
Mike

Hi Mike,

The pricing page should show Cloud pricing by default. You can check the toggle to confirm you're looking at Cloud pricing:

Hi Tess:
I am still trying to get my mind around this.
What is a standard user versus an end user?
Mike

User types are determined based on usage, and there's no toggle for Standard vs End user. A Standard user is a user that has edited an app or workflow during a given month, and an End user is a user that didn't edit an app or workflow during a given month. Here is more information for your reference: https://docs.retool.com/org-users/concepts/billing-usage#user-types

Tess:

Thank you for this.

One of the problems, I think, is my inability to turn off the "Edit App" button for my End Users.
As I recall I am unable to prevent my End Users from clicking on the "Edit App" button because I am on the Team Plan.

Another thing, I want each End User to have their own data and local storage. I can setup multiple applications and data bases to deal with this but I am not sure if this is consistent with the Team Plan.

Mike