My embeded Retool app appears for a sec and then displays login screen

Hey,

I am working on embeding Retool app inside Zendesk. But before that I wanted to test things out on localhost, so I created this simple, plain html page

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head></head>
  <body>
    <iframe
      src="{embed url}"
      width="100%"
      height="800px"
    ></iframe>
  </body>
</html>

and opened this file in the browser. The app appears for a moment, I can see components and the content. The app just display my user information and I can see that I was logged correctly. But then after a brief moment it displays login page.

After refreshing the page, app does not loaded anymore. I can only see "Error: unauthorized" text for a moment and then login screen.

What can be wrong here? I am pretty sure I tested this setup a month ago or so and it was working fine.

Hi Michal!

Happy to help here. By any chance, does your Retool app have any user-specific info (like current_user), note components or image components with images from Retool Storage? If so, those won't allow a public app to work.

Also, here is our doc on embedding apps (and Public Apps) in case it's helpful!

Hey @victoria thanks for the response.

Indeed my app is using current_user, but I am a bit confused about this public apps. My app is not public. It is internal app, which I want to access embedded somewhere else. That's why we used Retool Embed, created secure embedded url on the backend connected with that user.

I am not sure what is the point of creating this embedded url for given user and then not being able to access user information on the retool app.

Ah, gotcha! You should definitely be able to use current_user with an Embedded app.

https://docs.retool.com/apps/external/quickstarts/embed#control-access-and-app-behavior-with-metadata

To confirm, have you been able to successfully use Retool Embed with any other apps (e.g. an empty app with a text or button component)? I want to make sure we're investigating the right stage of your applications!

I have seen an Unauthorized error show up because the user was using an API token without the Embed scope (or trying to use a prod token on a dev instance). Just to double check, do you see the App:Embed scope when generating an access token for your app?

Yeah, the access token was generated with App: Embed scope. I did some changes to my app:

• removed key value component which was displaying current_user info
  • removed header which was also using current_user to determine links visibility

After above changes the app is loading. I later added some components and used queries to load data.

So it looks using current_user is the problem. But this should be allowed.

Glad you're unblocked for now - thank you for sharing. It definitely should be allowed! And it looks like it's working when I test current_user in an Embed app.

Did you see any errors in your browser console when you were getting the "Error: unauthorized" error in the app? And how were you using current_user (e.g. {{current_user.lastName}})?

I had key-value compoent displaing current_user and also I had a shared module, a header with navigation that was using current user's groups to display certain links or not.

Curious if there has been any movement on fixing this issue? We're running into the same thing when using current_user.sid to toggle UI features depending on if the user is a guest or editor.

Hey @Aslan_Goldenhour @Michal_Mlozniak! Taking this one over. I'm unable to reproduce the issue, referencing the current_user object (and it's properties) doesn't cause any login issues in my embedded app. Mind sharing some more details on how you are utilizing this so I can test some more? Thanks!

Hmmm. Thanks for the note and investigation. I'll see if I can get to the (more accurate) root issue and will revert from there.