Making Course Software using Retool Portal

Hi!

I'm really drawn to how Retool works (Feels like I have been looking for this tool for decades...) but I'm not sure it's the right tool.

I am interested in making courses for my current (and future) customers. I have a lot of ideas that aren't accommodated by off-the-shelf course software (gumroad, etc), so I'm interesting in rolling my own.

Is this an intended use case of Retool Portals? Obviously there are cost issues (15/user) on the Business plan, but assuming some slick guy in Sales figured that out...

More specific questions:

1. Does retool portals work with Mobile apps or just web?
  2. Right now there are no video components on Mobile apps. How far down the roadmap is that? Couple of months? Couple of years?
  3. What kind of messaging could currently be integrated? If I wanted course users to be able to message eachother (DM or group), are there components for that or a way for me to integrate an external messaging system?

Thank you

Custom components for web apps

1 Like

Hi @momentum apologies for the delay here!

Glad to hear you're interested in Retool. Have you moved forward with your assessment already?

It sounds like you've already reviewed the pricing, but I think it is something to be aware of for your use case. Each end user would need to be invited to a paid seat within your Retool org. Other than that, I think it depends a bit on what sort of UI you'd want to build and whether we have the right components.

Portals is a branding feature that allows you to customize the look of your Retool organization.

1. Most of the Portals features are designed for web apps. What feature are you looking to use for the Mobile product? White labelled mobile apps require upgrading to Enterprise
  2. We are tracking requests for a video component and it's something we hope to add in the future. That said, it's doesn't look like it's on our product roadmap yet, so I'm not able to estimate a timeline :disappointed:
  3. We don't have a component for messaging yet. On the web apps side (non mobile apps), you could potentially create something with your own React custom component.