Making a full-fledged time tracking application in Retool

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

We recently moved away from Harvest to a time tracking system made solely in Retool. We wanted to share with the community the thought process and how we made this so we made a blog post on it here. There is also a link to download the toolscript at the bottom of the post. You can also send me a ping if you'd like a copy!

Here is the TLDR:

• Harvest had tons of features that we weren't using. For the features that we were, we felt that they weren't made for our use case and there was a lot of friction.

• Retool had the prebuilt components readily available for us to put together a layout that made more sense for our company.

• We could easily cut away features we didn't use nor want and focus on making what actually mattered

• Through the process, we realised with control over our own data we could make use of Retool's other products to send things like slack pings for running timers, unique sum up views in our CRM, and mobile applications for employees to be able to log in or stop timers on their phone.

In summary, our end result was better than the SaaS product we were paying for and was cheaper. It was also easier to integrate and scale the solution with our needs since we no longer had any paywalls or limitations brought on from using an external SaaS product.

Read our blog post to learn more about how we built it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Wow cool :sunglasses: thank you so much for sharing, @JoeyKarczewski !

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @JoeyKarczewski ! I would love to see more user developed apps.

Hi @JoeyKarczewski
this is exactly what we've been looking for. I'd love a copy of the time tracking system. I tried to sign up to the toolbox newsletter, but it won't let me for some reason.
Thank you
Heike

Hey Heike! We are going to follow up with you in the dms :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Heike Should work now :+1:

Hi Joey,
code is great, how do I go about setting up the database?
Thanks