Inquiry Regarding Server Deployment in Alibaba Cloud Beijing Region

I am planning to deploy servers in the Beijing region of Alibaba Cloud.
The purpose is to set up an admin on the "retool cloud" platform,
through which continuous access to servers in Beijing will be established.
This access includes activities such as API calls and database connections.

However, as you may be aware, China has unique network policies.
Traffic going in and out of China is sometimes subjected to blocking by the Chinese government.

Given this situation, I have concerns about whether it would be appropriate to create an admin for operating my team's services on "retool."
Is there a possibility that the Chinese government might block the network one day?

I am wondering if anyone has experience with using "retool" in a manner that involves accessing servers deployed within Chinese territory.

I created ECS instances and developed APIs on Alibaba Cloud in China.
Additionally, I accessed these APIs from Retool, and the calls were successful.
Furthermore, I also created databases, and similarly, I was able to access them from Retool.

However, I am curious whether this positive scenario will continue in the future
or if there is a possibility of being blocked by the Chinese government someday.

I am also interested in knowing if there are others accessing servers within China from Retool in a similar manner as I do.

It's worth mentioning that
all users who will be utilizing the "admin" created with "retool" will be located outside China.
Only the traffic from "retool" will enter the network within China,
while all users of Retool will be outside China.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could share relevant experiences or insights.

Hello @marc_hk!

Great questions, to be frank I do not know what will happen in the future, it is possible that any country could hypothetically limit access to Retool.

I personally do not know of any other users in the community that have experience deploying in in that region, but the forums would be a good place to search for other users who can give you better advice and to build a community of developers!

We are looking to expand into the Asia-Pacific region in this coming year so stay tuned on further updates from us on servers deployed in the region and further support!

1 Like