How does link sharing work in the more recent Retool versions?

I've recently upgraded our self-hosted to the latest greatest version 3. We jumped from a late stage 2 version to this. There are a lot of wonderful changes.

One question, how do I share links to Users now? Pretty sure I understand all this: Preview and share web apps with users | Retool Docs but those methods do not bring over url parameters, only the base URL for the app. In earlier versions, I feel like I was just jumping out of edit mode and able to use and send links with fully qualified URLs. If I do that now I get the /editor/ part in the URL which sends un-suspecting users to the app in Edit mode.

Actually, while I have you, in earlier versions there was a menu behind the component tree that showed all components and queries and their current state. Is that around still?

Actually figured out the State thing. It's per selection in the Code window controlled by the dropdown and the bottom of the list.

Bumping back up as I still am confused by the editor mode. Every app link I personally go through starts in editor mode now. How do I get to "regular" mode?

I actively don't like it defaulting to editor mode for me as it seems like it's easier to erase changes if it's open in another tab where it's purposefully being edited.

Hi @Leelsles,

Thanks for reaching out!

To share links now, you have to click "Share" in the top right corner and then "Copy link" in order to get the end user mode link (which won't have any data about the url params you're using in edit mode) :disappointed:

Under settings->url params, you could set up your app with default hash params if needed - the hash params will get added to the url on page load. Or, you could manually add any url params to the Shared link before passing it along

We ended up moving state back up to the sidebar, so you'll see that come back on a later upgrade:

1 Like