Handling SQL Query Data With Multiple Statements

Hello, I'm new to most areas of programming, so forgive me if this is quite novice. I've finally wrapped my head around MySQL enough to get the query results that I want. However, to do so, I've had to make multiple statements with temporary tables, variables, etc.

In Retool, I'm trying to access that data, and I can't seem to do so properly. Prior to getting a working SQL statement, my first test in Retool was a simple, single statement that returned rows the way I expected, and I could access that data with {{ query1.data }}.

In the query I now want to use, the results seem to come back in multiple arrays. The "preview" option shows me 0: null, 1: null (etc) until I get 6: [] 13 items. If I try to populate a table in Retool with that data, using {{ query1.dataArray['6'] }}, the columns actually display as rows.

Hoping for some help to let me know how to reference that data as easily as I had with {{ query1.data }}.

Thank you!

@madmojo welcome to the forum
Is it possible for you to share the query and what the result set looks like in Retool?

Thank you @ScottR - I'm sure there's a much more efficient way of preparing my SQL statements, but at the moment they work and run quickly, so before I refine them, I'd like to just be able to see the results in Retool.

EDIT: I've tested extensively and it's not an issue with the SQL query. It's an issue with processing the response. This works fine:

SELECT * FROM products;

But, the same select as a stored procedure doesn’t:

CALL GetAllProducts();

Which, is the same SQL statement stored as a procedure. In the procedure, it returns results like below, which I can't seem to adjust or reference the Array to get the actual data out of...

Is it possible that your AVG calculation doesn't work until you get to something divisible by 2?

Also, I honestly cannot make heads or tails of your query and perhaps someone else with better db skills than me could assist....

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it's not that.

At first I thought the variables were causing issues, and they may have been. But, I've taken those out for testing. What I've found is that if I remove the first two SQL statements that CREATE TEMPORARY TABLEs, and just run the last two statements on hard-coded tables in my database, I get the results back just how I'd want and expect.

However, if I put those two statements back in, I get the data formatted as show in my screenshots. I've tried return {{ formatDataAsObject(query1.dataArray['4']) }} as a Transformer and no luck...

EDIT: I'm thinking this is related to the bug mentioned here:

Even when it's not a stored procedure. It seems like if Retool doesn't get a bland response from MySQL like so:

[
{
"Product_ID": 86,
"QtyOwned": 64,
}
]

And, instead, gets:

[
{
"output": {},
"recordset": [
{
"Product_ID": 86,
"QtyOwned": 64,
}
]
}
]

It can't parse out the results data and instead gets stuck looking at the metadata/headers.

Would love confirmation if I'm wrong, and/or any other suggestions or workarounds.

FYI for anyone that runs into this issue in the future, Retool doesn't currently like multiple combined statements (ended by semicolons) in SQL, which is a requirement of Temporary Tables... Instead, it works fine to just use CTE's by starting with the WITH statement in your query.