Glide vs. Retool?

We’re building applications on top of Google Sheets and I’m deciding between using Glide’s organizational offering for internal apps vs Retool.

How do they compare?

1 Like

Hey @michael.rosenberg! Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Retool and Glide are very different; generally Retool excels at building full featured internal tools (read, write), and gives you the flexibility to write Javascript anywhere for full customizability. Glide is useful for much simpler list based apps. Could I bother you for a bit more detail on your use case? I might be able to give you some more targeted help with more info.

Sure Justin. We have a Google Sheet with product SKUs that we need to read from and occasionally modify. Glide supports table views with read/write functionality out of the box, so it’s not clear to me what the difference is between these two platforms in this setting.

Sorry for the delay @michael.rosenberg. Not super familiar with the Glide feature set so I've been trying to learn more. As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between Glide and Retool is customizability. Glide might get you to an MVP quicker, but Retool lets you write custom Javascript anywhere, interface with pretty much any data source, and gives your granular control over when queries run and how to manage them.

We have a tutorial on our blog that walks through building an app on top of Google Sheets on our blog if that helps!