Feature request and feedback of File Storage

bug still not fixed - Click the Image/PDF the value will disappear, here is bug reported before. It was expected the fix to release on Wednesday Sept 13 by 2 PM PST, but not.

Feature request - add file id to the UI, it's so convenient to find file id in the page.

Add support for xlsx(docs, etc.) and more

The type of xlsx should be application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet instead of text/plain
I think all the MIME type in this list should be fully supported. and the type should it resolved to it exactly value.Common MIME types - HTTP | MDN

Add file id to all the component which using file/image. Currently it supported to use file id in image and pdf. but not to imagelist BoundingBox, table,(we have discussed it in this topic, How to display image from retool file storage in image column of new table - #9 by himanshu ).

Add file/image loaded event handler to the imagelist** BoundingBox, table, PDF, image in that event handler, we should can get the loaded file object via keyword file or other word. Add file uploaded event handler to file button/file input. In that scope we can get uploaded file object via file keyword or other word. and the object should contains all properties of file except base64Data.

Add option to set file type? Now it seem the file type is inferred from extension of file name.

Add a update file action

When Click the advance tag of file storage query, it will crash

Add one more property to hold the base64Data of file? So we can get it via image1.base64Str?

@ himanshu Could you take a look? thanks much.

1 Like

First of all, thanks for all the valuable feedback and for being a power user of Retool! This really helps. Please keep it coming :slight_smile:

I will continue to organize and share updates/responses for your feedback, but sharing early responses for some:

1. For the disappearing image/pdf - could you try creating a new component and repeating this? If it still happens, could you please share a recording of the bug as well, or if there's a known way to repro this?
  2. Support for components: We ended up supporting storage ids similar to URLs in an array for table component and expect this to release next week (Sept 27). For all other components, we won't yet have native support but you can build a URI from the base64Data field of the file as: data:${mimeType};base64,${base64Data}`. We're still planning on URL generation for storage but timeline is unclear.
  3. We already expose the base64Data for files which you can access in the response. Unsure if I am missing your question here.
  4. For updates, we will make upload allow overwriting soon - likely by next week or the week after.
    Will get back regarding the rest.

Hello, here is recording gif, thanks.
just create image component, and input the file id, then click outside area of image, and select it again, the file id will disappear.

Animation

I think in your case, the id you passed is not valid, or is for a deleted file (?) - and gets cleared. Could you please confirm if that's the case? We will have a fix released for this case by Sept 27, but you might want to try passing a valid id (or let us know if our understanding is incorrect)

Sorry for confused, yes, the file Id show above is no valid, but there is not the case.
Here I have success configure it and the image is show correctly.
But if I click the Image component again, the file id will lost and set to empty automaticlly.
Also there is a edit image component record in history, but the true is I just click the image component

Responding to the unaddressed feedback from the original post (let me know if I missed anything):

1. We are working on adding support for accepting mime type and only falling back to extension if no mime type was provided. We aim to have it out by Oct 4
  2. We're investigating event handlers for components, and exposing scope. No updates there yet.
  3. Just to make it explicit, we're planning to make upload file handle overwrites. However, that would only allow overwriting the file if a file with same name exists, but won't allow you to update the file name or mime type of an existing file. Let me know if you feel the need for renaming and updating types. We plan to support the latter in some time but not immediately just yet.

That's very odd - we weren't able to repro this. Could we have support reach out to help us login to your app to help investigate?