Expose Themes inside the Retool Environment

Would love to be able to control themes directly inside the Retool environment. Instead of setting them outside of the app, why not inside?

This would be super helpful for allowing a dark mode toggle.

1 Like

Hi @JoeyKarczewski, this is possible today in the "App Settings" modal for apps.

You can find this by clicking this button!

Hey @william-retool !

Thanks for this!

I was meaning more directly being able to switch between themes dynamically as an end user of an app. I would like to allow the user to toggle between these different themes.

Thanks

3 Likes

Ah! That makes sense. Very interesting idea. I can see how this would let you build a dark mode toggle for your users.

Let me bounce it around a few folks here internally :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Was there ever any outcome to this? Would be good to allow users to switch between light or dark or even automatically set based on the system settings.

Hi @alec-hs, this feature is currently on hold but something we might revisit in the future!

2 Likes

I would like to see this as well.

+1 - Any further updates on whether this will be possible?

Hey @gregbloor! Still no eta for when it will be available.

At the moment the best workaround I know of is the one bradly gave here. The team certainly knows that it's a highly requested feature.

1 Like

+1 for this idea

+1 again, but I would like to set theme colors programatically so user can customise rather than using canned themes, I am having to put background colors from API / local storage on all buttons and changing some backgrounds as I need this feature

Thanks for the clarification @rjones-cto! There are a couple of internal feature requests tied to this thread, one for dark mode and one for programmatically switching themes which gave me a bit of confusion :sweat:. All of the +1's here are also being filed for the latter so that the dev team understands it's also highly requested and we can let you know when it's included.

Thanks, our product is a bit different to most in that we use retool as a front end for a service we sell, we neee customers to be able to at a basic level set their styling, I’ve done it by overriding header background, text, primary color on all buttons. I imagine you’ll be more focused on theme switching as that would be your most common use case.

Ahh I see, that's interesting! Would you mind sharing a bit more about your use case as context?

Since external use cases are now more accessible with Portals and Embed I imagine there are a lot of new ones the team may not have heard of and it can be really helpful for the dev team to have stories to guide their design. Curious to know how user-customizable styling fits into your product!