Custom auth does not work with gRPC in end user mode

• Goal: I'm trying to use custom authentication with a gRPC resource, to make sure different end users will be authenticated differently when using said gRPC resource. I'm on self-hosted Retool.

• Steps:

1. Create a gRPC resource
  2. Enable custom auth. The content of this can be anything at all, doesn't matter.
  3. Add the resource to your application
  4. Observe that a small "Re-auth"-button appears within editor mode, indicating custom auth is working while in editor mode.
  5. Switch to end user mode (or even better, log into Retool using an user that only has end user mode), and observe that the custom auth is not triggered in any way.
  • Screenshots:

Observe that when custom auth is properly working (I'm able to do so with a REST resource), the "App resources" menu item is clickable under my profile sub-menu within the app. Clicking this menu item re-prompt my custom auth flow.

This is NOT the case when custom auth is not working, as with my gRPC resource. The menu item is greyed out. Clicking it does nothing.

Hello @torkel!

Interesting issue :thinking:

Few questions for me to get to better reproduce to narrow down where the break in logic is for where the custom auth login is not being triggered.

Let me know how you set these up for both the REST resource you are testing against and the gRPC resource in question:

-Which Auth Trigger did you chose?

-Did you check the box for ""Run this custom auth workflow without prompting the user"?

-Did you "Add a new step in the auth workflow"?

These are all setting options inside of the edit mode for a resource. Thanks in advance!