Connecting Zapier Webhook to Retool Workflow

I am trying to take a JSON from Zapier and pass it to Retool via a webhook then store that JSON in a Retool table.

Pictured below is the Zap I currently have configured in Zapier.

My main 2 questions are:

1. To pass a JSON from Zapier to Retool to be stored, is Zap Webhook --> Retool Workflow even the right configuration to do this? Or is there a better way?
  2. If this is the way, I'm having issues configuring this webhook --> workflow. See more below.

Issues with Webhook --> Workflow:

I have configured the Zap below with the appropiate information from the Retool workflow based on documentation here. I have also been in discussion with someone on the Zapier side about this in the post here.

You can also see below how I have configured the Retool Workflow. I keep receiving a "time out" error on the Zapier side.

Overall, I'm not sure where my problem lies in connecting this Zapier Webhook to the Retool Workflow in order to pass the JSON through to Retool and store it.

the timeout error you're encountering may be due to various reasons, and I'll guide you through troubleshooting steps.

Troubleshooting the Timeout Error:

1. Check Retool Workflow Configuration:
  • Make sure your Retool Workflow is correctly configured to accept data from the Zapier Webhook. Confirm that the Webhook URL in Zapier matches the Endpoint URL in Retool.
  • Verify that the Retool Workflow is expecting a JSON payload and is set up to handle it correctly.
  1. Payload Format:
  • Ensure that the JSON payload you're sending from Zapier is correctly formatted and matches the expected structure in your Retool Workflow.
  1. Debugging in Retool:
  • In Retool, add logging or debugging steps to your workflow. This will help you identify where the process is failing.
  • Test the Retool Workflow independently by triggering it manually or through another method to see if it's functioning as expected.
  1. Webhook Testing:
  • Use a tool like Postman or cURL to send a test payload to the Retool Webhook URL. This can help you verify if the issue is on the Retool side or within Zapier.
  1. Zapier Webhook Configuration:
  • Double-check your Zapier Webhook settings, ensuring that the URL is correct, the method is set to POST (if that's what your Retool Workflow expects), and any required headers or authentication are configured properly.
  1. Zapier Testing:
  • In Zapier, use the "Test Trigger" option to manually trigger the Zap and see if it completes successfully. This can help you isolate the problem.
  1. Error Logs:
  • Check both Retool and Zapier for error logs or detailed error messages. This can provide insights into what's causing the timeout.
  1. Zapier Support:
  • Reach out to Zapier support for assistance. They might be able to provide specific guidance based on their system logs.

Alternative Approach:

As a Zapier Expert I suggesr you to If you continue to face issues, you might explore alternative approaches, such as using Zapier actions directly to interact with Retool, bypassing the webhook. Zapier might have native integrations with Retool that could simplify the process.