Component selection can be very iffy!

Recording 2024-07-24 023821 MConverter.eu

I can't be the only one that runs into this problem every now and then right?

I also often have problems when I have containers with 0 margin, 0 padding and set to expand content. this creates the scenario where the 'name tag' for more than 1 component would normally be on top of each other but instead it moves one of them to the bottom of the container.... if I have to scroll to find the bottom then when I move the mouse the 'name tag' disappears. at this point I've found it easier to zoom out so I can click the little blue tag without playing hide and go seek or whack-a-mole. it gets even more annoying if it needs to display 3 'name tags' in the same spot: 1 is in the top left, 1 in the bottom left and I gave up finding where the 3rd gets moved to so I just scroll around Component Tree to find what I need.

again, it could be just me, but instead of moving overlapping 'name tags' to different sides of a component whos size is unknown, wouldnt making it so the tags are stacked vertically along the y-axis be a bit easier to read... and predict?

4 Likes

I can't be the only one that runs into this problem every now and then right?

Not at all. Literally every time I'm editing in Retool I make a donation to the swear jar because of this issue. I end up having to use the component tree instead.
And don't get me started on the flickering scrollbars issue either where something that's set to fill the container goes crazy resizing itself in an endless loop :smiley:

2 Likes

:scream: that's the worst one!!! it made my eyes go wonky lol. if i remember right i ended up using css to stop the madness? for me, it was from nested Container List Views, but that was back when the new list views just came out so after i fixed that issue once i haven't wanted to re-open it yet cause i'm not a masochist :laughing:

Agree, I've defaulted for the component tree as well.... the worse is when I think I have the right component, move it somewhere else and it turns out to be something else entirely which messes with other components and somehow doesn't get properly fixed with undo... it will undo things with its own will and just whack the component back in some strange way....

2 Likes

Major +1 from me too (hi guys!) - also totally agree with undo being a chaotic neutral...I tend to try to go back in my history when I really foul something up while trying to carefully drag a button without triggering it...

3 Likes

Thank you everyone! I agree this could be a nice improvement to the UI. I've linked this conversation to a feature request for this and will let you know if we have any updates.