Add Retool Embed SDK ;)

soooo, how all you hard working devs doing :upside_down_face:? it'd be really simple for you ultra smart bees knees retool devs to add that shiny new embed js sdk to the Community Show and Tell category right :pleading_face:?

heh it's probably cruel to suggest it but being able to interact with apps, components and/or modules while reading a persons thread be more than useful though. not just with showing off something, but also when asking for help and trying to show current results if it's added forum wide... maybe it's a bit of a stretch but it would help keep the focus on the post and in the forums. as opposed to importing the json, learning something neat, then not reading what someone bothered to write about it i guess. new components though, if you could add it to the announcements category at least would easily be as cool as sliced bread :bread: (ok, it'd be really helpful also, but i'd totally give all ya'll a "Coolest IDE Forum EVER" mug if you worked for me :innocent: :rofl:)

Hello @bobthebear!

I actually love this idea :sweat_smile: making the forums interactive and reducing friction to use for exciting new features in the "Show and Tell" category makes so much sense.

I haven't tested out the Embedded JS SDK but I think I will be jumping on this feature request and getting my hands dirty with some coding :technologist:

Just pushed this internally and will be doing a deep dive into our Forum admin, will keep you posted!

2 Likes

Hey @bobthebear!

Hope you had a good weekend. We recently ran into an issue with data storage for the forum and had to upgrade our hosted server. This made me realize that embedding apps via the SDK, while it would be really cool would definitely increase the data usage of our discourse server :sweat: so we might have to table this and wait.

I just found out that discourse forums such as ours are running via Ruby on Rails, and for the JS SDK we would have to hunt down the view being served and do some testing from there.

1 Like

welp, I def don't envy you with that dependency graph :rofl:. Oddly I was asked to add a forum to our site this afternoon so naturally, after reading your post, I went over to github to take a looksie at the discourse code base. I don't use Ruby often, but if I get super lucky and stumble upon something sneaky I'll send ya message :sunglasses:

2 Likes