Update a specific row with API's output

Hello :slight_smile:

I have a question about Table. How can I update a specific row with the output of an API call?

I added a button action that can launch the API for a specific row to enrich it. Currently, the output is updating all the rows (Custom Column 11), and it's my problem because the output is related to a specific row only.

-> Basically, I need to update the row with his related output every time I launched the API.

Could you help me for that please?

PS : Thank you to the retool team, I just discovered the product this weekend and it's just crazy <3

Hey @Mctne!

In order to set each row separately you'll want to store the data from your API somewhere that can be indexed to match the data you have in your table. When you make the call to your API are you looking to have that row's data be enriched in your external database or only in the UI?

In the first case, you might consider adding a success handler to the API request that pushes the returned data to your external database.

In the second case, you might try either pulling all the data together in a way where indexes match or using something like a temporary state that you can manually index. Either way, when adding a transformer to your column inside the {{}} you have access to the i variable which will be interpolated with the index of the row in your table, as well as the currentRow variable which holds that rows data in case you rather use something like the rows id to do the indexing.

Let me know if that helps or if it raises additional questions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

hi @Kabirdas , I have a similar question - basically trying to enrich the row of a table that is cacheing information retrieved from two different of my own APIs - the workflow is that one of the actions is called on a specific row of table data generated by the earlier initial action.

As discussed in this related thread, I am trying to update a specific row with the results of an 'additional" API request that is invoked through a button on the table for that given row.

I am struggling with how to write with Retools currentRow reserved keyword, the documentation here is severely lacking - or at least - it's buried in a bunch of random stuff if it exists at all (havent found it yet after a few hours of digging around)

here is the latest of what I have tried to no avail:

const channelId = {{DMTChannelEstimator.data.data.channel.id}};
const proj = {{DMTChannelEstimator.data.data.projection.views}};
if({{table1.selectedRow.index != undefined}}){
  return proj
}

Hey @andymac!

currentRow usually refers to the underlying data for that particular row in your table. So you'd have to modify the data for the table to include the enriched rows, if you're trying to just show the data using a custom column as seems to be suggested in these threads, you might try something like the following:

It could be useful to use something like i here which resolves to data index of the clicked row in any query triggered by any action button. For instance, say you have something like:

Then you could set up your enrichRow query to use i to both call your API and pass the result to the same index in a tempstate with code like:

const data = await api2.trigger({ additionalScope: { id: table1.data.id[i] } });
enrichmentData.setIn([i], data[0]);

Then that data can be referenced in various places, including the table itself:

Let me know if that's what you're looking for or if you rather change the underlying data of the table!

enrich_rows.json

1 Like

LEGEND! Thanks @Kabirdas , this is exactly what I'm looking for!!

Quick follow up: does it makes sense to use a transformer? I have my query which I would like to keep a little more decoupled and use a transformer for the piece I believe you are describing.

Does that still work?

Also, to confirm, does the value[i] code {{enrichmentData.value[i].?name}} used to explicitly index on the specific row? Or am I misreading how that [i] is used?

EDIT: never mind, I see you attached the app's JSON definition - thanks for that!! Digging in more now

One thing I am noticing @Kabirdas is that when Im trying to run this line:
const data = await api2.trigger({ additionalScope: { id: table1.data.id[i] } });
the code does not seem to be successfully invoking my (REST API) query that calls my own API.

here's my example:
const data = await DMTChannelEstimator.trigger({ additionalScope: { id: table1.data.id[i] } });

In this case, DMTChannelEstimator is part of a REST API resource I have created that is a REST API.

EDIT: so what seemed to be blocking the actual outbound request from Retool was that Retool was silently error'ing out on this: { id: table1.data.id[i] }

I am not sure why, however, when I format it like {id: table1.selectedRow.data.id } the code progresses and makes an outbound call successfully.

However the [i] syntax it tries to actually parse the text

However, I am now stuck where the data response does not seem to be getting successfully saved to the temporary state which I have aliased as channelEstimate (initialized as empty array [])

here is the code I have adapted from your example on my own js query:

// console.log'ing like a madman to see what's going on
console.log(table1.selectedRow.data.id);

// the channelId is the "unique" id in this table, so use as key
const rowChannelId = table1.selectedRow.data.id;
// log'ing to see if this saves the variable value as expected
console.log(rowChannelId);

const data = await DMTChannelEstimator.trigger({ additionalScope: { id: table1.selectedRow.data.id } });
// trying to confirm what the heck gets returned back
console.log(data);
// soooo... still not sure what's going on here. I'm assuming we're trying to set a kvp where `rowChannelId` is the key??
channelEstimate.setIn(rowChannelId, data);
console.log(channelEstimate.value);

Ok, I got it resolved! :tada: :partying_face:

tl;dr -

1. I set the channelEstimate.setIn([i], data) because I finally understood the goal was to actually create an index in the channelEstimate array (not a hashmap) and that index maps across the table row's index.

So as I was clicking the action button invoking all this stuff, I was populating my temporary state array.

1. I finally got the field values to display by actually calling, you know the temporary state variable and not the query. oops :sweat_smile:

I'd like to give a more in-depth answer at some point, leaving this up in the hopes that this might be helpful to the next person who comes along with this use-case

1 Like

Thanks for posting your process here @andymac!

It's great to see how you worked through this, and it fills a lot of holes in my description :sweat_smile:

Glad you were able to get things working :tada:

1 Like