Unable to install On-Prem Retool locally

Hi, I follow the instruction in the On-Prem portal trying to install Retool locally. There is only one command to run according to the doc:

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tryretool/retool-onpremise/ssop/deploy-retool)" < <(echo "SSOP_32e487b4-f2cb-4811-b6ba-bc0e76962804")

But I ran into the below issue so that Retool can't be installed or started:

INFO: running Retool! This can take up to 5 minutes
[+] Building 20.8s (9/9) FINISHED
 => [retool-onpremise-api internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                                                                                       0.0s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 37B                                                                                                                                                                   0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-jobs-runner internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                                                                               0.0s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 37B                                                                                                                                                                   0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-ssh-connector internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                                                                          0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-connector internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                                                                              0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-api internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                                0.0s
 => => transferring context: 2B                                                                                                                                                                       0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-jobs-runner internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                        0.0s
 => => transferring context: 2B                                                                                                                                                                       0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-ssh-connector internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                   0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-connector internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                       0.0s
 => ERROR [retool-onpremise-jobs-runner internal] load metadata for docker.io/tryretool/backend:latest                                                                                               20.5s
------
 > [retool-onpremise-jobs-runner internal] load metadata for docker.io/tryretool/backend:latest:
------
failed to solve: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to create LLB definition: failed to authorize: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = failed to fetch anonymous token: Get "https://auth.docker.io/token?scope=repository%3Atryretool%2Fbackend%3Apull&service=registry.docker.io": dial tcp: lookup auth.docker.io on 10.0.0.1:53: read udp 10.0.0.19:51296->10.0.0.1:53: i/o timeout

Any insights to solve this would be appreciated.

Hey @mattsun!

Would you mind sharing what OS you're using for context? Additionally, could you try checking/disabling any firewall or VPN you have running to see if that may be causing the disruption?

Hey,

I'm using

• Mac OS Monterey v12.0.1 with M1 chip
  • Docker Desktop version 4.14.0
  • Docker Engine version 20.10.21
  • Docker Compose version v2.12.2

I'm not running any firewall or VPN. I'm using my personal laptop at home. It's prob 200MB Xfinity residential internet plan.

Hey @mattsun!

Thanks for providing that additional context. On further investigation, it looks as though both retool.com/self-hosted and my.retool.com are referencing an outdated install script for deploying locally. Can you try the following?

1. In Docker Desktop, click on the little bug icon in the top right and click "Clean/ purge data" then restart Docker Desktop
  2. Run a docker system prune for good measure
  3. Use the script in the github repo here. In one-liner form:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tryretool/retool-onpremise/master/local-trial)"

This is the most recent version of the script for running locally. There are docs for running the local trial here.

As a side note: it's almost always going to be necessary to go into Docker resource settings and increase the amount of memory + swap allocated (Retool will basically fail to run on 4GB or less).

Let me know how that goes!

Hey @Kabirdas

I followed all of your steps and unfortunately it doesn't help. exact same error.

➜  ~/workspace/tmp  /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tryretool/retool-onpremise/master/local-trial)"
CONTAINER ID   NAME      CPU %     MEM USAGE / LIMIT   MEM %     NET I/O   BLOCK I/O   PIDS

INFO: updating Retool!
[+] Running 5/5
 ⠿ api Skipped - No image to be pulled                                                                                                             0.0s
 ⠿ jobs-runner Skipped - No image to be pulled                                                                                                     0.0s
 ⠿ db-connector Skipped - No image to be pulled                                                                                                    0.0s
 ⠿ db-ssh-connector Skipped - No image to be pulled                                                                                                0.0s
 ⠿ postgres Pulled                                                                                                                                 1.3s

INFO: running Retool! This can take up to 5 minutes
[+] Building 20.6s (10/10) FINISHED
 => [retool-onpremise-api internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                                    0.0s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 109B                                                                                                               0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-ssh-connector internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                       0.0s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 109B                                                                                                               0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-connector internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                           0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-jobs-runner internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.local                                                            0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-api internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                             0.0s
 => => transferring context: 2B                                                                                                                    0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-ssh-connector internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                0.0s
 => => transferring context: 2B                                                                                                                    0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-db-connector internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                    0.0s
 => [retool-onpremise-jobs-runner internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                     0.0s
 => ERROR [retool-onpremise-api internal] load metadata for docker.io/tryretool/backend:latest                                                    20.4s
 => [auth] tryretool/backend:pull token for registry-1.docker.io                                                                                   0.0s
------
 > [retool-onpremise-api internal] load metadata for docker.io/tryretool/backend:latest:
------
failed to solve: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to create LLB definition: failed to authorize: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = failed to fetch oauth token: Post "https://auth.docker.io/token": dial tcp: lookup auth.docker.io on 10.0.0.1:53: read udp 10.0.0.19:58931->10.0.0.1:53: i/o timeout

Hmm... alright, can you try the following two steps?

1. If you are signed in to Docker Desktop, sign out and sign in again and then run the script
  2. If the above doesn't work, try disabling BuildKit: go to preferences > Docker Engine > edit the json for buildkit to be false

1 Like

I was able to work around that, by switching from my home internet router to Xfinity public network ...