Saving custom table column values and assigning to existing data

Hi All,
I have a table that pulls data via a REST api request.
Now, I would like to add a custom column that has dropdown values (I got that part) however, I do not understand if its possible to have that data added to a custom column and specific row be saved so the same selection would show next time?

For a bit of reference here's the table:

I want to select a status and for that status to be there next time I query the same results.

Correct me if im wrong but I have to store this data somewhere so I was thinking of using the localStorage to save the number (which is the row id) and the value but im not quite sure on how to display this data while allowing users to choose the status on their own...

Any help would be appreciated as I am quite a noob still :slight_smile:

Hey @EyalGershon!

I think you definitely have the right idea here, this question really comes down to how you're saving the data itself. It's easiest if it can just be read from wherever the rest of the data is coming from but that certainly isn't the only way to do things! You might want to take a look at our Retool Database beta if you're looking for a generic way to store persistent data, otherwise, you'd need to set up some kind of external db if you want the information to be shared across users. Local storage works well if it's temporary data that needs to be shared across apps but not users.

How you choose to store your data will slightly alter how it attaches to your table. There are a few options for reading the data in

Once you've made any changes you can also run multiple event handlers to save those changes, or use more JavaScript to trigger multiple queries with a single event handler.

Hopefully that helps! If you run into any particular issues as you set things up please feel free to post and we'll take a look at them with you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Im having a really hard time figuring out what would be the best solution here.
Tried connecting the data to a Bigquery table and for some reason I was not able to update values, Then I created a Google Sheets and was able to update the value however, filtering the results is a pain in the ass.

I am curios, I dont need any technical help because I can manage that part. My question is how would you go about this? What stack would you choose?

I think it depends on the use case, but my first guess would be to add the column to the BigQuery table you're using already. If that table can't be edited then I would try adding a new table BigQuery so that you don't have to fuss with more resource types than you need. Would you mind posting the issue you ran into? Maybe there's something there we can give insight into from the Retool side.