Query with text being cast as decimal

I'm using AirTable and SyncInc. to get my data into Retool. To quote the Sync documentation: " Airtable Formulas and Lookup Values can be numbers, strings, dates, or timestamps. So these fields are stored in your Postgres database as text and text[] columns, respectively."

So for the sake of simplicity I have 'Owners' and I have the 'Acreage Owned'. Acreage Owned is a formula field in AirTable, so instead of a number like 123.45, it's stored as a text array and shows up as "123.45".

I'm trying to run a basic query where you input a minimum and maximum acreage and it returns all the owners in that range. Here is my code:

select owners.owner_name, owners.acreage_owned[1]::DECIMAL
from owners
where owners.acreage_owned[1] > {{textinput8.value}} and owners.acreage_owned[1] < 
{{textinput9.value}};

I casted acreage_owned as a decimal and the query runs and returns the correct data...mostly.

If I have a minimum value of 250 and a maximum value of 350, the query will also return values where the first 3 digits fall into that range. For example, it will also include acreage_owned values like 2,500 or 34,260.

Can someone help me understand why it's only reading the first x number of digits (based on my inputs) and not treating the entire thing like a number?

Sorry if this is unclear. Happy to try and clarify further. Thanks.

Textinput components will usually have their values stored as strings, which might be causing some odd behavior here.

What happens with a query like this?

select owners.owner_name, owners.acreage_owned[1]::DECIMAL
from owners
where owners.acreage_owned[1] > {{parseFloat(textinput8.value)}} and owners.acreage_owned[1] < 
{{parseFloat(textinput9.value)}};

Adding the parseFloat did not seem to change the results. It’s still returning anything where the first x number of digits fall into the range I’ve specified. Appreciate the help.