Permissions on Startup Plan - can we manage permissions by app?

Hi,

We're looking to "retool" our Airtable bases as a set of apps so that we can integrate data that we had to separate because of Airtable's lack of permissions, and to build more useful forms for editing our data.

Retool looks phenomenal, but I was stopped cold by the leap from $10/mo to $50/mo for permissions.

I need to build apps for our staff to manage projects and their time without accessing financial data. Can I build separate apps for regular employees and business users to see and edit different columns of data without having to buy a "Pro" plan? ie one app might have hourly rates and the other app would not include it. Can we manage permissions by app in the Startup Plan?

Hi @nc3d!

You can certainly build out separate, but similar apps on any plan. You can easily build an app, then duplicate it with one button click (though, from that point on, the apps would be entirely independent so any future changes would not transfer over).

Permissions can only be controlled on the Pro Plan. On the Pro plan you do get the public apps feature, which lets you build apps that are publicly available to anyone with the URL. Whoever uses that link won't need a Retool account, so you won't be charged for them. Since the app is public though, you wouldn't want it to have any user-specific information or dangerous functionality (I.E. deleting rows in a database).

How many org members do you plan on having? I'd be happy to help you decide on a plan that makes the most sense for you and your team 😊

Hi Victoria,

I just need to create apps for my staff that do not include the financial data that is also in our source Airtable base. Couldn't we simply restrict who can make apps (still a permission) and omit certain fields from our apps using a lower-cost plan?

Thanks for your help!

-Donald

Hi Donald!

Unfortunately, the Business Plan (formerly known as the Pro Plan) is the only app with permissions controls.

You *can* use a little workaround with the current_user object (which has the current, logged in user's email and name) to hide certain components based on the logged in user.

Very frustrating that you can get this feature for $50 on cloud but have to fork out a lot more (like considerably a lot more) to get the same on-prem.

Definitely valid. I reached out to my team with this feedback, and I'd be happy to connect you to a team member with more context around pricing if that would be helpful! I'll DM you their email :blush:

Hi @nc3d and @rcanpolat!

Apologies for waking up an old thread and thank you to both of you for your feedback on our pricing model. Thanks to your feedback (and similar feedback from others), we’re making major changes to our pricing today. :tada:

• First, instead of charging the same price for any user at your company, we will now charge different rates for standard users (people who build apps in Retool) and a significantly lower amount for end users (people who only view or use Retool apps). See the details on our pricing page.

• We’re also adding an annual billing option to our Team and Business plans so that you can pay annually and get an additional 20% discount per user.

• And, we’re introducing a self-hosted Business plan for teams that prefer to self-host and need more granular permissions, audit logs, and reusable modules.

Beyond these pricing changes, we’ve recently shipped dozens of new features, including an AI-powered query editor, Python support, offline mode in Retool Mobile, and a Retool-hosted PostgreSQL database with a spreadsheet interface. We are constantly adding to the platform to make it more useful to you.

If you want to try out these new plans, you can sign up on our pricing page. If you have any other feedback about Retool, please comment in this thread or start a new thread anytime! Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. :slight_smile: