Open in new tab option but not jumping to it

Hi,

I'm using the "Retool Page to Open" feature quite often, usually combined with the "Open in a new tab?" setting enabled.
Is it possible to not change the browser tab automatically to the new tab? I've tried to disable the "Open in a new tab?" and clicking with CTRL, but that does not work.

Hello, can someone please answer my question? Maybe the answer is “no”, but still it would be nice to know for sure. Thanks!

Hi @mm79!

Sorry we missed this, to clarify you want to open the link in a new tab but not select the tab in the browser?

The only way I was able to get this behavior (when we open a new tab from the retool components, it automatically selects that tab as well) is by using an html button :confused:

It's not ideal (and the default style options I chose here are a bit dated) but this would give you that behavior when you click the button while holding down cntrl (cmd on mac) or click with a middle mouse button. You can also render html inside of table cells and a few other components, so this could work there as well as in a text component.

<style>
.button {
  font: bold 11px Arial;
  text-decoration: none;
  background-color: #EEEEEE;
  color: #333333;
  padding: 2px 6px 2px 6px;
  border-top: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
  border-right: 1px solid #333333;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #333333;
  border-left: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
}
</style>

<a href="URL" class="button">Open Link</a>
1 Like

Thanks for answering alex-w!

you want to open the link in a new tab but not select the tab in the browser?

Yes, exactly. It seems to me your solution works. However I actually need the option in the action buttons of the table component where I use URL Query Parameters as well.
As this is an even more complicated use case, do you think that is possible?

It is not an urgent issue to be honest, it would make my app more user friendly though. :slight_smile:

Michel