Improving the list view component

We were hoping we could do more with the list view component, but unfortunately we’ve hit a few limitations.
We can’t embed a table within them because things will start breaking (especially actions)
Another idea we had was to have nested list views (i.e. a list view within a list view), but that doesn’t work either
I suspect a lot of it has to do with the indexing part (the i variable), it might help to make this part a bit more flexible and sort of pass this responsibility so that the developer can figure it out

3 Likes

Hey @diego, and welcome to the community! Could you share a bit more about your use case / what you’re trying to accomplish with the component? That will help contextualize a bit so I can share this with the rest of the team.

Sure, we’re looking to dynamically create a view based on an API response
E.g. The number of tables in the view will depend on the number of items in the response
Or maybe each item in the response will also further have another list view that contains a variable amount of components within it

Does this make sense?

Hi @justin any updates on this?

Hi there – we have a similar request. We are using Retool as an assortment planner for product bundles. We have a couple of layers of data we’d like to iterate through. Bundles have a size (we sell clothing), a number of distinct items in the bundle, and then a variation (A, B, C, D). We want to be able to display the bundles but grouped by their top-level categories. So the first listview would have a row for each size. Then the second nested would have a row for each # of items, and the third would be the variation version.

Hey all, unfortunately no immediate plans on this front. Will update the thread when we’re able to focus on it!

I ran into the same issue. basically, when you have a nested list, i need a way to have access to the index variable i for both lists.

1 Like

I'm running into the same issue! We have a series of interactions for leads, and each interaction can be associated with some number or reps. We have a list view to show the interactions for a given lead, and it'd be great to have a nested list view showing all the reps for that interaction, and a way to reference the i variables accordingly.

Same here! The very classical use case is: loading a list of products from an e-commerce API and each product has several variations (colors). So on each product item in the list, we need to show a variable number of images representing the colors.

Same here, its very bad behaviour to not use any table in listview component!

Hey @can_93, definitely :pensive: Though one of our main projects right now is supporting tables in listviews! Not sure of exact launch date (still making sure to test for any breaking bugs), but definitely soon :crossed_fingers: Will keep this thread updated!

@victoria Hi, any ETA for the support of table in listviews? Thanks

Hey @number15! Just checked in with the engineers working on this, will let you know when I hear back :slightly_smiling_face:

This is blocking me today

@victoria any status, or any beta flags you can enable for me to test it out? :crossed_fingers:

Not currently :pensive: would you mind sharing your use case so I can pass it along to the team assigned? Anything is helpful!