Future Priorities for Retool - Join the User Led Discussion

I love a lot of what has been said here, but the absolute top of my priority list is better environment/release handling.

Right now, data sources/environments are separate entities. It would be great to be able to tie them more closely together.

At our org, our production environment has completely separate DBs and graphQL APIs from our QA and beta environments.

The fact that I can only have one 'live' release across all environments makes it challenging for our QA team and internal beta users to keep track of what they should be testing: they need to manually choose a release.

Having stronger release management where I can make different releases 'live' in the different environments; to be able to 'promote' releases from say, QA to beta to production would make our workflow so much easier.
It also avoids problems when someone chooses 'publish' instead of 'preview' when they're switching to a different test release.

Modules are nearly useless to us: The fact that module 'live' status is handled completely as it's own thing means that making a module 'live' can break other apps that rely on older APIs. We should be able to select the module version in use for each release, and upgrade specifically.

Lastly, the fact that I can't remove edit permissions from users without the enterprise plan is painful. I get you need price/feature differentiators, but this one is a security issue, and something that should never be part of pricing. eg: you shouldn't charge me more for a secure platform. It should be secure from the get go.

5 Likes

Hello, I have high hopes for this sentence !

2 Likes

Hello, any news ?

Hey @QuentinSc! News indeedā€”targeting May :eyes:

Hi friends,

Thank you again to everyone in this thread for taking the time to share your feedback on our pricing model. It's May now and as mentioned above, that means weā€™re making some major changes to our pricing today! :tada:

• First, instead of charging the same price for any user at your company, we will now charge different rates for standard users (people who build apps in Retool) and a significantly lower amount for end users (people who only view or use Retool apps). See the details on our pricing page.

• Weā€™re also adding an annual billing option to our Team and Business plans so that you can pay annually and get an additional 20% discount per user.

• And, weā€™re introducing a self-hosted Business plan for teams that prefer to self-host and need more granular permissions, audit logs, and reusable modules.

Beyond these pricing changes, weā€™ve recently shipped dozens of new features, including an AI-powered query editor, Python support, offline mode in Retool Mobile, and a Retool-hosted PostgreSQL database with a spreadsheet interface. We are constantly adding to the platform to make it more useful to you.

If you want to try out these new plans, you can sign up on our pricing page. If you have any other feedback about Retool, please comment in this thread or start a new thread anytime! Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @victoria,

This is great to see, will help us in planning better.

Quick query on self-hosted business plan, will it support public sharing of apps?
That will be game changer for us. I have been following up with your team on performance issues, mainly due to network latency (we are in India) and this will resolve those to a great extent.

Again, glad to see changes in pricing.

Hi @Harsha! Unfortunately, we still don't officially support Public Apps On-Premise, unfortunately :pensive:

We do have, Embed, however that occupies a similar function (shareable apps) and is available On-Premise + Enterprise.

i am just new to retool, trying to learn.

what i noticed, videos on retool website are not the current version of retool and also features shown are not available in current website.

its confusing if you try to learn, maybe update learning and showcase materials?

Hi @meggi Thanks for reaching out, and thank you for the feedback on our videos. As discussed here, I've shared this feedback internally. We recently launched a lot of very exciting features, such as Retool AI, so we're working on updating our content to reflect these improvements!

Our docs should have specific guides for learning the basics of Retool, and this forum is a great place to learn more! Someone from Retool reviews or solves every single post :blush:

I love Retool! and I'm pushing for my boss to subscribe to a plan, but it should allow end-user vs. standard-user permissions to be correctly set on the Teams plan. At this moment anybody can edit an app, and that just looks bad. We're a pretty small team, and the price gap is way too large between Teams and Business, for us to have just that one feature.

I have one client that is on the Team plan. A trick I use to prevent editing is to use the _embed=true querystring parameter:

1 Like