Future Priorities for Retool - Join the User Led Discussion

I'm probably one of the least technical Retool users, so a third-party component library would be awesome! I know there are quite a lot of requests for new/altered components in this forum so I think opening up to outside developers may be able to take some of the work off the plates of Retool's own engineers and expand the ecosystem more rapidly.

I've particularly noticed a lot of requests for updates/changes to the table component. Personally I would like to see some of the interactivity and field types of Airtable in the way you can interact with tables and databases as an alternative to using forms for CRUD. I may be wrong here, but I figure most people use tables at the core of their apps, so focusing on that as the key feature might help seal the deal for people on the fence about using Retool.

Otherwise I absolutely love Retool. Not only has it helped streamline my processes, but it's helped me learn a bit of coding as a complete novice. So thank you! :blush:

Nice @domjammoo

I have been navigating these "quests" of producing content with GPT-3 for quite some time now, the freedom that a canvas with an immensely wonderful flow like Retool's, including the new connectors with OpenAI are catalyzing factors for any scenario, for sure.

I recorded a simple video with no audio just to illustrate the adjustments with some recursive and consecutive calls with summarized texts and at the end I put a trigger to send an email (I assembled the html in JS). Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

The creation of texts using the openai connector with gpt-4 in the retool workflow was not very stable with a number above 5 queries using gpt-4, so I opted to change the templates and leave gpt-4 only for classification and analysis of contexts and the other queries I left with the 3.5-turbo, but I confess that 003 (davinci-003) still remains my love.

I missed a documentation talking a little bit about the Whisper parameters, I tried to send an audio without uploading to an S3 and I couldn't, but I'll try in the next days.

Congratulations for the post and the initiative to all the Staff, the current Workflow experience is very good, since the beginning of the Workflow Beta I miss a vertical control on the Div/Tab/Window that displays the execution log (inside WorkFlow), it occupies in some cases more than 50% of the vertical screen space and only disappears when you click again, it would be great to have a control similar to what we have in the internal apps/queries.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Hi @bradlymathews, on the topic of priorities, I'd like to know what the priority is for fixing a longstanding bug, which is the caching for Query Library queries. This bug was reported over 6 months ago (Sept 13, 2022) and still hasn't been fixed.

1 Like

@barton,

I share your frustration that it can take too long to fix bugs. I recommend adding an "Any progress with this?" kind of post the original thread and you will usually get a response back - it may not be the one you want, but it does apply some pressure and can get priorities re-shifted by being a squeaky wheel.

I don't want this thread to focus very specific bugs like this, but let's add a +1 for speeding up bug fixes!

1 Like

I have to say I'm very impressed to see @dvdhsu in this thread. I heard about retool from your mouth directly while listening to a Podcast a while back (cant for the life of me remember which one). I didn't expect to see you still involved in the community at this point considering how big retool has gotten.

@bradlymathews as usual you nailed it with your list. Don't do such a good job so some of us can contribute a bit more! Haha.

@nickwarren we have had similar conversations with Retool regarding pricing, and I know they are discussing some stuff internally based on our last meeting with them. We are a small shop and pricing was a bit of a blocker early on. Now that we have developed all of our internal systems into retool its far less of a blocker. I agree with bradly 50/mo is well worth it (for us at least) having streamlined all of our business processes into one app. We have removed the need for at least one employee if not more.

That being said I would love to see them pivot slightly to allow instances the ability to create a SaaS model and resell to others. Sure we can always take our app to a react developer and have them build it for us, but its ever-changing the more we use it. We decide we want something to work differently and can rebuild it in anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. I love the ability to change/adjust as we grow as a business and as developers. The system we have built is industry specific and all-inclusive and I KNOW others would love to have it... we would love to monetize that fact and have the ability to continuously update it based on user feedback. I feel like we might be a very specific case in that sense but the more I see in the forums the more I'm unsure of that.

+1 for middle market pricing
+1 for speeding up bug fixes
+1 for other languages
+10 for Multi-screen support and/or custom IDE to allow for multi-monitor development

I do feel like these posts end up with a lot of negative feedback so I want to add a few positive notes...

Thank you for Runtime V2 it was a game-changer, appreciate the ability to beta test with you guys on that and everything else. Thank you for paying attention to the community and continuously improving. Thank you for creating such a great product, its helped us immensely, I'm excited to see it progress and grow.

3 Likes

Thanks @barton for the bump on the bug. I'm going to chat to the team and make sure this is resolved in the next few days.

On bugs more generally: we recently instituted a SLA for bugs (our newly hired COO, Mark Schaaf, was adamant we do so). We are getting much better at triaging, prioritizing, and fixing bug reports, and I agree we weren't very good at it before. Hopefully you all should see us resolving bugs much faster going forward!

Pricing feedback: yes, absolutely agreed. We anticipate having something to announce in the next month. :slight_smile:

On more user-generated content: yes, we have many ideas here and are excited to ship some ideas here soon. One is to serialize Retool apps better (instead of YAML, we are working on our own DSL which is much more readable). Then we want to allow people to source control these apps (on Github). Then you could imagine having a "Deploy to Retool" button on all these Retool apps you find on Github.... which would allow you to share the apps. (We will in the future also build an app store directly in Retool.)

Thank you all for the feedback!

3 Likes

I work primarily with small businesses and non-profits to automate and organize their current process flow. Unfortunately, most of these organizations are very "paper-centric" and I find I need a migration path to lead them to electronic document exchange. This means I still depend on exporting "reports" to PDF. I would really like to be able to configure the output to 1. a specific local directory and 2. the ability to customize the name (e.g. use data from components like customer name and date)

I love a lot of what has been said here, but the absolute top of my priority list is better environment/release handling.

Right now, data sources/environments are separate entities. It would be great to be able to tie them more closely together.

At our org, our production environment has completely separate DBs and graphQL APIs from our QA and beta environments.

The fact that I can only have one 'live' release across all environments makes it challenging for our QA team and internal beta users to keep track of what they should be testing: they need to manually choose a release.

Having stronger release management where I can make different releases 'live' in the different environments; to be able to 'promote' releases from say, QA to beta to production would make our workflow so much easier.
It also avoids problems when someone chooses 'publish' instead of 'preview' when they're switching to a different test release.

Modules are nearly useless to us: The fact that module 'live' status is handled completely as it's own thing means that making a module 'live' can break other apps that rely on older APIs. We should be able to select the module version in use for each release, and upgrade specifically.

Lastly, the fact that I can't remove edit permissions from users without the enterprise plan is painful. I get you need price/feature differentiators, but this one is a security issue, and something that should never be part of pricing. eg: you shouldn't charge me more for a secure platform. It should be secure from the get go.

5 Likes

Hello, I have high hopes for this sentence !

2 Likes

Hello, any news ?

Hey @QuentinSc! News indeed—targeting May :eyes:

Hi friends,

Thank you again to everyone in this thread for taking the time to share your feedback on our pricing model. It's May now and as mentioned above, that means we’re making some major changes to our pricing today! :tada:

• First, instead of charging the same price for any user at your company, we will now charge different rates for standard users (people who build apps in Retool) and a significantly lower amount for end users (people who only view or use Retool apps). See the details on our pricing page.

• We’re also adding an annual billing option to our Team and Business plans so that you can pay annually and get an additional 20% discount per user.

• And, we’re introducing a self-hosted Business plan for teams that prefer to self-host and need more granular permissions, audit logs, and reusable modules.

Beyond these pricing changes, we’ve recently shipped dozens of new features, including an AI-powered query editor, Python support, offline mode in Retool Mobile, and a Retool-hosted PostgreSQL database with a spreadsheet interface. We are constantly adding to the platform to make it more useful to you.

If you want to try out these new plans, you can sign up on our pricing page. If you have any other feedback about Retool, please comment in this thread or start a new thread anytime! Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @victoria,

This is great to see, will help us in planning better.

Quick query on self-hosted business plan, will it support public sharing of apps?
That will be game changer for us. I have been following up with your team on performance issues, mainly due to network latency (we are in India) and this will resolve those to a great extent.

Again, glad to see changes in pricing.

Hi @Harsha! Unfortunately, we still don't officially support Public Apps On-Premise, unfortunately :pensive:

We do have, Embed, however that occupies a similar function (shareable apps) and is available On-Premise + Enterprise.

i am just new to retool, trying to learn.

what i noticed, videos on retool website are not the current version of retool and also features shown are not available in current website.

its confusing if you try to learn, maybe update learning and showcase materials?

Hi @meggi Thanks for reaching out, and thank you for the feedback on our videos. As discussed here, I've shared this feedback internally. We recently launched a lot of very exciting features, such as Retool AI, so we're working on updating our content to reflect these improvements!

Our docs should have specific guides for learning the basics of Retool, and this forum is a great place to learn more! Someone from Retool reviews or solves every single post :blush:

I love Retool! and I'm pushing for my boss to subscribe to a plan, but it should allow end-user vs. standard-user permissions to be correctly set on the Teams plan. At this moment anybody can edit an app, and that just looks bad. We're a pretty small team, and the price gap is way too large between Teams and Business, for us to have just that one feature.

I have one client that is on the Team plan. A trick I use to prevent editing is to use the _embed=true querystring parameter:

1 Like