Duplicate a Control

I’d love the ability to be able to duplicate a control. When creating a form filled with text input fields, I spend so much time changing all the options on each field it would be a lifesaver to be able to set one, duplicate it, then change the label and default value for the next field. And not have to click the X on the search icon, and remove the “Search here…” text, etc every single time.
Something like CMD-D to duplicate the selected control and change the name to -# or something.

Hey @coleca, when you refer to a “control” you mean a component like a Text Input right? If so, you can copy the component with command + c and then paste it by clicking on the canvas (to clear your selection) and pressing command + v.

When you copy and paste a component it will keep all of the same settings, but change the component’s name.

omg I wish I knew this weeks ago… thank you! that’s exactly what I was looking for!!

Awesome! Sorry we didn’t surface this feature for you earlier :frowning:

@alex This is nice! Have a few improvements that could be useful, thoughts?

• Currently, it’s hard to move a component from one part of the canvas to another part if other components are blocking the way (the UI prefers shifting all those components rather than letting the target component be moved around them). Thus as a workaround, is there any way to choose where on the canvas to paste the component by command + v?
  • Somewhat minor for now, is there a way to export/import objects by JSON representations? The dump generated by the export feature, while technically still JSON, is very user-unfriendly.

just realised that this resurfaces what @abdul-nimeri wrote in Duplicate element

Hey @coleca, when you refer to a “control” you mean a component like a Text Input right? If so, you can copy the component with command + c and then paste it by clicking on the canvas (to clear your selection) and pressing command + v.

When you copy and paste a component it will keep all of the same settings, but change the component’s name.

omg I wish I knew this weeks ago… thank you! that’s exactly what I was looking for!!

• Currently, it’s hard to move a component from one part of the canvas to another part if other components are blocking the way (the UI prefers shifting all those components rather than letting the target component be moved around them). Thus as a workaround, is there any way to choose where on the canvas to paste the component by command + v?
  • Somewhat minor for now, is there a way to export/import objects by JSON representations? The dump generated by the export feature, while technically still JSON, is very user-unfriendly.

just realised that this resurfaces what @abdul-nimeri wrote in Duplicate element