What has happened to the development screens for Retool?

You know what I never want to have to do on a platform I build, deploy, and host business-critical tools on? Any of that.

1 Like

It is an improvement but the ongoing issue with Retool is lack of documentation on releases. Not only in UI changes but codebase changes. Many companies rely on this for internal dev software and its as if you have a developer pushing to production things you have no idea about.

Here, Here!

Mike

Hi @Tess,

Do we have access to the dependency tree in the new IDE? I find this feature very useful, even if it's not perfect.

Hi @mdsmith1, Thanks so much for sharing your feedback on the localStorage. I've shared it internally as well, and it sounds like the team is in agreement that it's pretty buried. Maybe we can tweak the design a bit for discoverability & ease of use :crossed_fingers:. Another idea they're considering is to bring the state back to the full height of the panel, so it would be comparable to the original IDE. You're welcome to continue to post here on the forums, but if you're interested, I also encourage you to join our Discord for providing early feedback on new products before they launch more broadly

While we're excited about the recent ships from our Developer Day, we definitely appreciate the broader feedback about large scale launches being disruptive, especially when you're developing apps on a time crunch :disappointed:. We’re partnering with a few teams internally to explore how we can get the news out to our community faster. The documentation has been updated to reflect the new IDE, but it sounds like folks here are really looking for a more detailed changelog - what changed with the IDE, what motivated the IDE changes, etc. I’ll post back here when I have updates on that. In regards to general Retool version changelogs, I shared this feedback with our docs team & they let me know they’re currently working on improving our changelog process.

As it relates to version changes, if your team is on Retool Cloud and the weekly updates feel too disruptive, it might be worth exploring our self-hosted platform. With self-hosted, you have to deploy your own Retool instance, but you can choose when your team upgrades versions. We always recommend upgrading to the latest version to get access to new features, but self-hosted allows you to choose when you upgrade and how often.

As always, please continue to share any feedback you have for us!

@ScottR @AnsonHwang thanks for chiming in! Glad to hear you’ve seen value in the new IDE @vinnie thanks for chiming in as well! I’m glad we’ve been able to get your direct input on other betas too Also, @jonj Thanks for pointing out some alternative ways to get the state! (I'm biased to the left panel :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Hi @heynoway

Yes, it should be under this icon:

Thank you Tess for your reply.

It does sound like you people are listening and in the end that is the part that is most important.

Thankyou again for your feedback.

Mike

3 Likes

Thank you for reaching out! I also wanted to link a recent blog post that talks more about designing the new IDE :slightly_smiling_face:

Tess:

Thanks for sending this out.

I personally do not see a big productivity gain except for the filter feature on the code blocks. This feature is wonderful and saves me a lot of time.
I am working on Applications right now but I will probably eventually get into work flows and the thought seems to me that the IDE will be consistent when I get into that area. So that is good.

I think a simple statement at the outset would have been worthwhile. i.e. "We are working on a new IDE that will give consistency across platforms. The key things we are changing are 1) 2) 3). You may have some difficulties at first but very soon it will be second nature. Going forward our IDE should then be stable for the future. "

Just my thoughts.

Mike

1 Like